Jan 22, 2013

I Remember When...

For writing prompt #2, find an old photo album and turn to picture #14.  Look at it for 2-3 minutes, then write down for 10 minutes all of the feelings that photograph made you feel.  Don't censor yourself, just write. (From the website creativewritingprompts.com)

"Do you have the ring yet?" I asked my fiance again.  He was living in Logan and I was down in Provo, working at my new career that I had just started a few short months earlier.  Our wedding date was quickly approaching, and we had scheduled to have our engagement photos done that weekend.  I was terrified, because I still didn't have my beloved ring yet.  Spencer was determined to buy that ring with cash in hand, and I was terrified that I couldn't get engagement pictures taken without a ring.

I don't remember what his vague response was, but we ended up going for a drive, and found our way to the Provo temple.  I knew it was coming.  We didn't typically walk around the temple grounds in the evening.  We found a bench and sat down, talking quietly and enjoying each other's presence.  It was in this position that we suddenly heard a woman exclaim, "Excuse me!"  We turned around, and saw a woman approaching us.  "I'm sorry to bother you, but do you happen to have a truck?  I really need help getting a piece of furniture moved, and I had a feeling you might have one."

Yeah, lady.  That feeling you got was right.  However irritated I was, my sweet Spencer said, "Sure!" and jumped up to help.  There is nothing more attractive than a guy willing to help, and I was grateful for his willingness.  We ended up wasting--I mean--spending a good hour helping, then eventually returned to our spot.

"She almost messed up what I was going to do!" he laughed nervously when we were back on our bench.

"What do you mean?" I asked, playing dumb.  This was it!

Spencer suddenly got down on one knee and pulled out a ring box from his pocket.  He held it open for me, and asked for me to be his wife.  While I knew it was coming (I practically forced him to give it to me for the past few weeks), I broke into laughter and tears, bending down to hug him.

"So, is that a yes?" he asked.

"Yes!  Yes, yes!"  I laughed.  I held out my hand and he took it, gently placing the ring on my finger.  Holy cow, it was gorgeous!!!!!  I could barely take my eyes off of it, and anxiously thrust it into my roommate's face when I got home as she and her long-time boyfriend cuddled on our couch.  She actually scowled when she saw it, shot a death-stare to her boyfriend, and I happily bounded into my room.  This couldn't have come at a better time, because the next day, we were getting our pictures taken by my good friend.

I remember wandering around BYU campus, finding the perfect spots to take our pictures.  We found some great places, and then made our way to the Provo River trail, where we took even more great pictures.  It was exhausting, exhilarating, and I was so proud as cars and others passed us.  I was finally the one getting married, and it felt great.

Picture number 14 in my album was the one of Spencer and me sitting on a bench by the bell tower on BYU's campus.  It was the picture we used as our engagement photo, the one that was slipped inside each gorgeous burgundy-lined envelope.  It was the picture that didn't even show my engagement ring, which had caused me so much stress the weeks before.  Picture number 14 was the beginning of a beautiful life together, one that I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment