Mar 22, 2019

Creating Exciting Characters

Writing "Evan the Horrible" has been such a fun and different experience. I first accidentally created Evan in my book, "The Trouble with Prince Charming." He was just an obnoxious side character meant to annoy my main character for a few minutes, and then be on his way. But for some reason, he kept showing up, torturing Nikki and causing disturbances wherever he went. He was by far the most fun to write. I never struggled with him; it was as if he had come to life and was dictating to me what he would say and how he would act. Never had anyone been so easy to create!

While working on my book, I had the idea come to me of a young adult modern-day Beauty and the Beast story, but instead of being angry and unkind, what if the beast was just unlikable and...ANNOYING? Evan Rice was it! I had to have Evan star in his own book.

Next, I needed to find Evan a love interest. That was difficult. I mean, who'd want Evan to get a girl, considering how obnoxious he was? He needed someone who could take what he dished, and dish out her own. She needed to be strong, sassy, and sarcastic. It needed to be Jazzy Allen, a heart-broken girl who found strength in the dragon tattoo on her arm. 

The chemistry between these two works. What first starts as hatred slowly evolves to friendship, and then gradually, very gradually, eases into a little bit more. The way they think and interact with each other has been fun to create. Lots of bantering and lots of sarcasm makes for some very humorous writing.

These characters were unlike any I'd created before, which made them fresh and exciting. Going on a limb and trying out something new has been a great experience. I can't wait to finish my next book so you all can officially meet them!


No comments:

Post a Comment